2020 UGA FLAGLINE AUDITION INFORMATION
UPDATE: In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 UGA Flagline Auditions have been altered to best protect everyone involved during this time. Please read carefully for the updated process.
STEP ONE – INTEREST FORM:
Fill out the UGA Auxiliary interest form to make sure we are able to contact all interested candidates (new members and veterans): https://forms.gle/TVKbKXftTj87ZMRQ7
STEP TWO – ONLINE APPLICATION AND FEE:
- Submit your online application by 11:59pm on April 17th at the following link: https://ugaflagline.wufoo.com/forms/z1nq907z12wcjn6/
Items to be included in the online application:
- Full body photo in either performance attire or black leotard
- 1 letter of recommendation from either your band director or guard instructor
- Copy of UGA acceptance letter
- Pay your $40 non-refundable auxiliary audition fee by April 17th: https://estore.uga.edu/C27063_ustores/web/classic/store_cat.jsp?STOREID=143&CATID=1098&SINGLESTORE=true
*Please note that we typically require a physical from a doctor in order to audition. In response to the pandemic, we will only require completed physicals from candidates who are invited to callbacks (exact date TBA).
STEP THREE – VIDEO AUDITION:
- On April 25th, all candidates will receive an email containing the required material for the videos. Additionally, the email will include directions for how to submit completed audition videos.
In your video:
- Wear a black leotard with dance tights, dance shoes, and performance quality hair and makeup
- Be sure that we can hear the music
- Make sure we can see your full body and flag and that there is adequate light
STEP FOUR – LIVE CALLBACK AUDITION:
- Candidates who submit a video audition will be notified via email by May 17th if they are invited to a live callback audition. The callback will take place over the summer at Stegeman Coliseum on campus in Athens. You will be notified of the exact date when you are invited to callbacks.
- At the conclusion of the one-day callback audition, our final 2020 team will be announced. A mandatory orientation meeting will take place on this same evening.
Audition Routine: Candidates auditioning for Flagline do not need to prepare a routine to show. A routine will be taught to all participants during the process.
Judges: The judges will score candidates during both the video portion of the process, as well as callbacks. Judges are looking for poise, technique, memory, timing, and learning approach.
Weapons: UGA spins both rifle and sabre. However, weapon auditions will not occur until over the summer. Members must first be offered a spot on the team by auditioning on flag only.
Deposit: A new member can expect to pay around $1,000 total for the season’s apparel. Many of these items are one-time purchases. 50% of the members’ total is expected to be paid at the mandatory orientation meeting after being offered a spot on the team. This check should be made out to HHSOM-UGA Bands. The remaining balance is to be paid by August 1st.
Winterguard Auditions: UGA Winterguard auditions are separate from Flagline auditions and are held in September/October of each year.