The 70th Annual UGA January High School Band Festival: January 16-19, 2020
Email Rob Akridge (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
JanFest Auxiliary - register and pay Saturday at the event (check or cash preferred)
2019 Guest Bands:
- Newnan High School Symphonic Winds – John S. Erdogan & Chad J. Reynolds, Directors
- Mill Creek High School Wind Ensemble – Erik Mason & Bridget Wildes, Directors
- Martin Luther King, Jr. High School Wind Ensemble – Travis W. Kimber, Director
- McIntosh High School Wind Ensemble – Barbara Baker & Michelle Amosu, Directors
- North Cobb High School Wind Symphony – Sheldon Frazier & Scott Panell, Directors
- Jackson County High School Wind Ensemble – Nicholas A. Golding & Matthew A. Tinnell, Directors
2019 Guest Clincians:
- Cynthia Johnston Turner, University of Georgia
- Dario Sotelo, Conservatoire of Tatui & Brazilian Wind Orchestra
- Jeffrey Boeckman, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
- Robyn Bell, State College of Florida
- Andrea Brown, University of Maryland
- Cecilia Clark, Alatoona High School
- Eric Willoughby, Woodland High School
- Rudy Wilson, Brookwood High School (retired)
2019 JanFest Information:
JanFest 2019 Performance Recordings
JanFest information will be mailed to band directors in October of each year. If you are a new director to a school, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before October 1 to be included in the mailout.
"JanFest” (pioneering band invitational established in 1950) is a four-day event for high school band musicians. Students are nominated for participation by their director by way of this website early in the academic year after receiving the JanFest announcement. UGA Bands staff selects students to participate based on the order of the director’s submission, the instrumentation need of the festival bands, and the reported musical achievements of each student. Typical festival attendance is approximately 1000 students from 130 schools.Directors and other adult chaperones accompany students to Athens for the event.
Directors are responsible for housing and food arrangements for their students.
The festival announcement includes a list of hotel properties in close proximity to the festival site.Students are placed in festival bands on the basis of an initial audition. These bands rehearse several times before a final performance on the final afternoon of the event. Attendees also enjoy several featured performances by guest high school bands and UGA student ensembles, including the UGA Hodgson Wind Ensemble.We’re looking forward to seeing you next winter at JanFest!
For more information regarding JanFest or to update contact information, email Director of Band Festivals Rob Akridge.