The 30th Annual UGA Middle School Band Festival: December 10-12, 2020
2020 MidFest Guest Band Application
Due to concert cancellations, we are accepting recordings dated any time after January 1, 2019. Submissions are due by 5:00 p.m., Monday, June 1, 2020. We hope to announce acceptances by July 1, 2020. Please email Rob Akridge at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
2019 Guest Bands:
- Ebenezer Middle School Eagle Winds – Kenza Murray & Lisa McDonald, Directors
- Trickum Middle School Symphonic Winds – Robert Davidson & Jessie Matthews, Directors
- Webb Bridge Middle School 8th Grade Symphonic Band – Kirk Stroud & Matthew Crisman, Directors
2019 Guest Clinicians:
- Dr. Jaclyn Hartenberger, University of Georgia
- Dominic Talanca, University of North Carolina, Wilmington
- Dr. Craig Davis, University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
- Dr. Jack Eaddy, McNeese State University
- Luther Harris, North Gwinnett High School
- Kathy Mason, Buford Middle School
- Michael Pace, Jefferson Middle School
- Sheila Smith, retired middle school director
Last Year's Information:
2019 MidFest Schedule of Events
2019 MidFest Final Information
2019 MidFest Parking Information (UGA Commencement will be held in the PAC during MidFest - deck & E-11 parking will be free - first come, first served)
2019 MidFest Brochure
UGA Campus Map
UGA On-Campus Map
MidFest information will be mailed to band directors in September of each year. If you are a new director to a school, email us at email@example.com before September 1 to be included in the mailout.
"MidFest" (established 1990) is a three-day event for middle school band musicians. Students are nominated for participation by their director by way of this website early in the academic year after receiving the MidFest announcement in the mail. MidFest staff selects students to participate based on the order of the director’s submission, the instrumentation need of the festival bands, and the reported musical achievements of each student. Typical festival attendance is approximately 1000 students from 130 schools.
Directors and other adult chaperones accompany students to Athens for the event. Directors are responsible for housing and food arrangements for the students.
The festival announcement includes a list of hotel properties in close proximity to the festival site.
Students are placed in festival bands on the basis of an initial audition. These bands rehearse four times before a final performance on the final afternoon of the event. Attendees also enjoy several featured performances by guest middle school bands and the UGA Wind Symphony.
For more information regarding MidFest or to update contact information, email Director of Band Festivals Rob Akridge.