Every spring semester, students from across UGA's campus are invited to participate in Concert Band and University Band. Both bands focus on classic wind band repertoire as well as exciting new music. Each band presents two concerts in the UGA Performing Arts Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is welcome to join?
Lots of people:
- Redcoat Band members who want to maintain their chops and guarantee a placement in RCB next fall.
- Undergraduate music majors who wish to play secondary instruments in preparation for student teaching.
- Any UGA student with or without previous band experience who wants to perform in a band and improve their musicianship. (Note: We generally recommend that you know the basics of how to read sheet music. Individual instruction is not offered through Concert/UBand).
What if I don't own an instrument?
UGA Bands owns and maintains a large inventory of instruments for use by students. Often there is no additional cost.
What if I haven't played in a while?
You are still welcome. Understand that you will be auditioned at the beginning of the semester for chair placement, but as long as you are willing to work hard, there will always be a place for you. We are all about building lifelong musicianship.
When and where do the bands rehearse?
For Spring 2019...
- University Band rehearses on Tuesdays 6:00-8:30PM
- Concert Band rehearses on Wednesdays 6:00-8:00PM
Both bands meet and rehearse in Leebern Band Hall on the first floor of the Hugh Hodgson School of Music (250 River Road), located on the Arts Quad on UGA's East Campus.
Who are the conductors?
Concert and University Bands are directed and primarily conducted by UGA Bands Graduate Assistants who are pursuing advanced degrees (MM, DMA) in conducting and intend to conduct bands for a living.
How do I join?
In Athena, enroll in MUSI 4836 (University Band) or MUSI 4837 (Concert Band). Choose the band that fits your schedule the best.
Who can I contact with additional questions?
You are warmly invited to contact the directors of the bands with any additional questions.
- University Band (Tuesdays 6:00-8:30PM)