The 68th Annual UGA January High School Band Festival: January 18-21, 2018
Student acceptances have been emailed along with audition etudes. Sorry for the delay!
Cancellation deadline is Friday, January 5th.
Pease email Rob Akridge at email@example.com with questions.
2018 Special Guest Band:
Okayama Sanyo High School Wind Orchestra, Okayama, Japan - Masafumi Matsumoto, Director
2018 Guest Bands:
- Alpharetta High School Wind Ensemble – Michael J. Walsh & Ira Jenkins, Directors
- Lassiter High School Symphonic Band– James Thompson, Jr. & Jeff Harper, Directors
- Milton High School Wind Ensemble – Chris Shumick & John Herndon, Directors
- North Paulding High School Wind Symphony – Mike Bearden & Stan Phillips, Directors
2018 Guest Clinicians:
- Honor Wind Ensemble - Gary Green, University of Miami (Fla), retired
- Honor Wind Symphony - Linda Moorhouse, University of Illinois
- Honor Symphonic Band - Jaclyn Hartenberger, University of Georgia
- Honor Concert Winds - Courtney Snyder, University of Michigan
- Bushman Band - Catharine Bushman, St. Cloud University
- Gilbert Band - Rudy Gilbert, North Gwinnett High School
- Mitchell Band - Tonya Mitchell, University of South Carolina
- Rowser Band - Jeffrey Rowser, Morgan County High School
2018 JanFest Information:
JanFest 2017 Performance Recordings
JanFest information will be mailed to band directors in October of each year. If you are a new director to a school, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before October 1 to be included in the mailout.
"JanFest” (pioneering band invitational established in 1950) is a four-day event for high school band musicians. Students are nominated for participation by their director by way of this website early in the academic year after receiving the JanFest announcement. UGA Bands staff selects students to participate based on the order of the director’s submission, the instrumentation need of the festival bands, and the reported musical achievements of each student. Typical festival attendance is approximately 1000 students from 130 schools.Directors and other adult chaperones accompany students to Athens for the event.
Directors are responsible for housing and food arrangements for their students.
The festival announcement includes a list of hotel properties in close proximity to the festival site.Students are placed in festival bands on the basis of an initial audition. These bands rehearse several times before a final performance on the final afternoon of the event. Attendees also enjoy several featured performances by guest high school bands and UGA student ensembles, including the UGA Hodgson Wind Ensemble.We’re looking forward to seeing you next winter at JanFest!
For more information regarding JanFest or to update contact information, email Director of Band Festivals Rob Akridge.