Fall Semester 2020
Due to the potential risks associated with ensemble wind/brass/percussion playing in light of COVID19, we regret that none of the UGA wind ensembles will meet in person, rehearse, or offer live concerts during the Fall 2020 semester.
The following bands WILL be offered in online formats only:
- Hodgson Wind Ensemble - Cynthia Johnston Turner, conductor
- UGA Wind Symphony - Jaclyn Hartenberger, conductor
- UGA Symphonic Band is canceled for this semester.
For undergraduate and graduate music majors who need wind band to fulfill a large ensemble credit this semester for degree requirement, students should enroll as follows:
- First and second-year students should register for UGA Wind Symphony (MUSI 4839/6839)
- Third and fourth-year students, graduate students, and those students who were in HWE last year should enroll in Hodgson Wind Ensemble (MUSI 4840/6840)
Returning wind/brass/percussion players who were in Symphonic Band last semester should enroll in Wind Symphony. Students might be moved from one course to another based on numbers of enrolled.
The syllabus and course content for both Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony will be almost identical. We will be taking feedback from students every 2-3 weeks in each course to help direct course content.
- A virtual lessons partnership with band students at Cedar Shoals and Clarke Central High Schools (this could include guest hip hop artists/collaborators)
- Composition project with guest composer, Alex Shapiro
- Technology instruction on home recording techniques with guest speakers/instructors
- Possible transcription project of underrepresented composer and virtual chamber performance
While we are saddened that we can’t meet to play and make music in face-to-face ensemble settings, we are convinced we will have important and meaningful conversations and activities that will make students better musicians, better listeners, and engaged citizens.
Spring 2020 Rehearsal Schedule
Hodgson Wind Ensemble
T/TH 2:00 - 4:30 pm
MW: 3:00 - 5:30 pm
MW: 3:00 - 5:00 pm