The 73rd Annual UGA January High School Band Festival: Thursday, January 19 - Saturday, January 21, 2023
Please email questions to Rob Akridge (email@example.com).
JanFest 2023 Guest Band Applications
Please complete this form by 11:59pm, Friday, April 15, 2022, to apply to perform at JanFest 2023.
2022 Guest Bands:
- Woodland High School Wind Symphony – Michael Kobito & Holly Maldonado, Directors (7:50pm, Friday, January 21)
- Dutchtown High School Wind Symphony – Wolson Gustama & Brandon Printup, Directors (7:00pm, Friday, January 21)
- Dr. Jaclyn Hartenberger, Interim Director of Bands, University of Georgia
- Shiree Williams, Associate Director of Bands, University of Georgia
- Dr. Michael Robinson, Professor of Music, University of Georgia
- James Seda, Director of Bands, Southwest DeKalb High School
2022 JanFest Information:
Yearly JanFest Information:
JanFest information will be mailed to band directors in October of each year. If you are a new director to a school, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org before October 1 to be included in the mailout.
"JanFest” (pioneering band invitational established in 1950) is a three-day event for high school band musicians. Students are nominated for participation by their director by way of this website early in the academic year after receiving the JanFest announcement. UGA Bands staff selects students to participate based on the order of the director’s submission, the instrumentation need of the festival bands, and the reported musical achievements of each student. Typical festival attendance is approximately 1000 students from 130 schools.Directors and other adult chaperones accompany students to Athens for the event.
Directors are responsible for housing and food arrangements for their students.
The festival announcement includes a list of hotel properties in close proximity to the festival site.Students are placed in festival bands on the basis of a video audition. These bands rehearse several times before a final performance on the final afternoon of the event. Attendees also enjoy several featured performances by guest high school bands and UGA student ensembles, including the UGA Hodgson Wind Ensemble.We’re looking forward to seeing you next winter at JanFest!
For more information regarding JanFest or to update contact information, email Director of Band Festivals Rob Akridge.