2021 UGA FLAGLINE AUDITION INFORMATION
UPDATE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 UGA Flagline Auditions have been altered to best protect everyone involved. Please read carefully for the updated process.
STEP ONE: ONLINE APPLICATION AND FEE:
Submit your online application by 8:00 PM EST Thursday, April 1st, 2021 at the following link: https://ugaflagline.wufoo.com/forms/m6103h0053aef/
Items to be included in the online application:
- Full body photo in either performance attire or black leotard
- 1 letter of recommendation from either your band director or guard instructor
- Copy of UGA acceptance letter
- Pay your $40 non-refundable auxiliary audition fee by April 1st, 2021: https://estore.uga.edu/C27063_ustores/web/classic/store_cat.jsp?STOREID=143&CATID=1098&SINGLESTORE=true
*Please note that we typically require a physical from a doctor in order to audition. In response to the pandemic, we will only require completed physicals from candidates who are invited to callbacks on May 1st, 2021.
STEP TWO: VIDEO AUDITION
We will require 2 video submissions from each applicant by Thursday, April 15th, 2021 @ 5:00 PM. One video will consist of a flag routine and the second will consist of a dance/pom routine.
- On April 8th, all candidates will receive an email containing the required material for the videos. Additionally, the email will include directions for how to submit completed audition videos.
Video Requirements and Attire: Please upload videos to YouTube and be sure the links are unlisted to allow our staff to access them. Taking the current circumstances into account, it is not required that the performer record the material inside a studio or a gym. Any open space inside the home, garage, or even the yard is perfectly acceptable, as long as the skills can be performed safely.
- Wear a black leotard with dance tights, dance shoes, and performance quality hair and makeup
- Be sure that we can hear the music
- Make sure we can see your full body and flag and that there is adequate light. Make sure you are not so far away from the camera that we cannot see your face.
STEP THREE: LIVE CALLBACK AUDITION:
Candidates selected for live auditions will be notified via email by Thursday, April 22nd, 2021. Live callback auditions will take place on Saturday, May 1st, 2021.
At the conclusion of the one-day callback audition, our final 2021 team will be announced. A mandatory orientation meeting will take place on this same day.
*In case of inclement weather on May 1st, the live callback auditions will move to Sunday, May 2nd.
Audition Routine: Candidates auditioning for Flagline do not need to prepare a routine to show. A routine will be taught to all participants during the process.
Judges: The judges will score candidates during both the video portion of the process, as well as callbacks. Judges are looking for poise, technique, memory, timing, and learning approach.
Weapons: UGA spins both rifle and sabre. However, weapon auditions will not occur until over the summer. Members must first be offered a spot on the team by auditioning on flag only.
Deposit: A new member can expect to pay around $1,000 total for the season’s apparel. Many of these items are one-time purchases. 50% of the members’ total is expected to be paid at the mandatory orientation meeting after being offered a spot on the team. The remaining balance is to be paid by August 1st. Fees should be paid online via UGA Marketplace.
Winterguard Auditions: UGA Winterguard auditions are separate from Flagline auditions and are held in September/October of each year.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.